Wednesday, February 6, 2008

SAD TUESDAY...

Before I get to my synopsis of Super Tuesday, I would like to acknowledge something WAY more important. I entitled this post "Sad Tuesday" because of the tragedies that took place in Mid-Western Tennessee and surrounding States yesterday. I have a very large amount of friends in this area, and have only been in contact with a few of them so far. I have called but only gotten a few responses back. If you are in any of these areas and have not gotten in touch with me please please please do so. My heart and thoughts go out to any and all of those affected.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

I'm going to keep this Super-Tuesday thing as brief as I can because I just don't feel great about talking about all this when more important things are going on.

I am quite proud of Senator Obama's performance yesterday. I was really nervous and I did all I could do, and am probably not done yet. I can still phonebank in the upcoming States, and probably get a much better reception in those areas than I did phonebanking in the Washington County area.

KEY POINTS:

Massachusetts: NOBODY expected Obama to win this State regardless of any endorsement anywhere. He did lose it by a significantly LESS margin than he would have a week ago though, when he was far, far behind.

New York: Uhmmm... yeah, so seeing that Hillary is the Junior Senator for this State I would have been floored if he somehow won that State. I will say that he only lost by 17% in the State where she is the Senator.

Arkansas: Hillary spent a LONG time here as the First Lady of the State. And she won by 42% here. Again, she won New York, where she has actually been elected twice by 17%. Maybe she was a better First Lady than she has been as a Senator?? I'm just sayin'...

Illinois: Likewise, I would have been completely shocked if Hillary carried this State where Obama is the Junior Senator. She was actually born and raised here in Illinois as well. Where I see the difference in the two sitting Senators States is the fact that Obama won his State by 31% as opposed to her 17% in New York.

California: Citing all legitimate polls, Clinton led this State by a 2-1 margin at least a week ago. Regardless of any "surge" Obama made in this past week nobody following these races would have suggested that he would have been able to beat her there, especially considering the over 1 million early voting ballots that were cast a month or so ago, when Clinton was considered the front runner of the entire Democratic Party and Obama was not necessarily considered a formidable Candidate. Polls showed that the majority of last minute voters opted for Obama, and the fact that he lost this State by a mere 10% speaks volumes in this regard. In addition, while the delegate count has Obama down by a little under 100 right now, California has only officially given out 66 delegates, all to Clinton, of the total amount of 441 delegates, yet to be figured out.

Also as far as the delegate count goes, I really study this stuff and frankly it baffles me. It appears that few of the States from yesterday's votes have officially pledged the full amount of their delegates from yesterday and I don't get that. I'm guessing that by late tonight or tomorrow the full delegate counts will be in, but I have absolutely no idea what any of this means...

Also, what the hell is a superdelegate??? I have looked into this of course, and think it might be that the 400+ elected officials of Congress and the House of Representatives get to pledge their delegates to whomever they want?? If this is indeed the case, than I would suggest these elected officials actually vote the way the constituents who elected them in the first place voted.

Also I find it hard to swallow that Obama is losing the Latino/Hispanic vote overwhelmingly because of BILL CLINTON and what he did during HIS Presidency... not Hillary herself. That kind of makes me mad.

And for anyone who thought Obama couldn't win the "White" States, I give you not ONLY Iowa, but also Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, and Utah.

In case you were wondering, victory was also claimed in Alabama and Georgia. And Obama is ahead, even if just by a smidge, in New Mexico as we speak.

So, I guess I would say that winning 13 hopefully going on 14 States out of the 22 total from yesterday isn't bad in a day's work. Bring it on February 9th!! And then February 12th back atcha!!

OBAMA CAN WIN ANYWHERE. I KNOW HE CAN...



Also, I must discuss Tennessee. I am actually quite surprised that my State gave Obama 40% of the vote. I would also like to note that in Hamilton County (Chattanooga) Obama beat Clinton by 8%, in Davidson County (Nashville) Obama beat Clinton by 21%, and in Shelby County (Memphis) Obama beat Clinton by 42%. In Knox County (Knoxville... duh) Clinton beat Obama by LESS than 2,000 votes, and in my sadly skewed Washington County he lost by about 2,500 votes.

All IN ALL, 14 OUT OF 22 AIN'T BAD!!!!

Obama said this morning that he is well aware that Hillary is the front-runner and he is the underdog. That's been obvious this entire election cycle. Hillary gave an interview at the beginning of January saying this thing would be decided by Feb. 5th. Well, it's Feb. 6th and we are still standing tall. The more voters get to know Obama the more he takes away from the Clinton name, which is a tough name to beat.

I THINK HE CAN DO IT. I REALLY HONESTLY DO... AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE :-)

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT SPEECH LAST NIGHT BY THE WAY...



Again, politics aside, if you are in one of the areas hit by any of the storms I am PRAYING for you. Please contact me somehow if you haven't been able to yet...

love and blessings to you all,
alyson

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for your comment! :) I'm sneaking down to Memphis next weekend (Feb 15) to have one of my mom's nurse friends do an ultrasound~ can't wait...my official OB appt isn't until March 4. that was WAY too long for me to wait! And don't worry...you'll be on a list. I believe I'm having a Knoxville shower, so you'll be on that list!! Can't wait to see you sometime soon. :)