Saturday, February 2, 2008

FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES...

First of all I would just like to say that I wish I loved my job as much as this guy...



Why oh why am I up at this hour?? Well, I fell asleep before 8pm last night due to exhaustion, and woke up about an hour ago and couldn't go back to sleep...
PRIME TIME TO BLOG I SAY!!

So, I spent today (technically yesterday) walking around Johnson City neighborhoods going door to door handing out Barack Obama Materials and asking people to vote with their hearts on Tuesday. It was FREEZING and I was with some woman named Linda who is from Charlotte and repeatedly told me about how, at one point in her life, she really wanted to crash her car into something... ANYTHING- for no apparent reason. Fun Times.

The people we met were really friendly and I honestly expected to receive a lot more negativity than I did. The Clinton campaign has apparently decided to completely abandon this region of the state as not one person I spoke to had received anything from them. In addition, the Democrat Resource Center here in Johnson City is occuped 100% of the time with ONLY Barack Obama volunteers, even though the offer was made to the Edwards campaign and the Clinton campaign as soon as the doors opened. Of course, Edwards has dropped out, so they had a legitimate reason to not take the Democratic Party in this area up on this offer. The Clinton campaign, however, dismissed this offer altogether. So it's just us Obama folk over there now. And there is A LOT of work to do!!! Trust me when I tell you this.

I spent all day Thursday canvassing
ETSU, and the response there was AWESOME!! It was quite refreshing seeing so many eager 18-22 year olds who didn't just want to vote for Obama, but also wanted to volunteer at the local office to get out the vote on Tuesday. People often stopped us mid-spiel to tell us they were already voting for Obama and what could they do to help. That was great!! I expected today's events to be not so fabulous, but was a bit surprised by the response we got. I only had one man who said "I don't vote, but I don't trust that man cause his name is funny." And to you Sir, I say keep not voting...

But the clincher was at the end of my Obama shift today when I went to my parents store to drop off my W-2 to my Dad (yes, my Daddy still does my taxes and will until I get married!). So, I was still wearing my "Women for Obama" button and really caught A LOT of flack from it!! I was probably asked by at least 8 people why I was supporting someone who wouldn't pledge allegiance to the flag, was in a Muslim sleeper cell, was sworn in on the Quran, blah blah blah... all completely ridiculous. Also completely obvious that people get their information from an e-mail randomly sent to them rather than actually spend 5 more minutes looking it up for themselves to see if its true or not. GUESS WHAT? ... IT IS NOT!! This information was sent in a hoax e-mail dating back to 2005-ish and was fully investigated by
CNN among other news sources prior to Obama even announcing his candidacy.

If common sense was a factor than I would encourage anyone with a brain to wonder how this wouldn't be ALL OVER the news if there was one ounce of truth to it, but apparently some people just opt to believe whatever they are told. Can you even imagine the field day that other campaigns could have or would be having with this information if there was any truth to it?? SERIOUSLY!! Wonder who's behind all this false information by the way???
Hmmmm... Nope, not Hillary, but good ole "Fair and Balanced" Fox News!! Obama himself actually fought back against these "allegations" himself during a Presidential Debate in January.



So, I corrected as many people as I could about this completely obnoxious and irrelevant nonsense, and laughed a lot of it off, but then I encountered one particular woman who works for my Mom who really ruffled my feathers. She said "I cannot believe you are wearing that button around here trying to get people to vote for that Muslim!" and I said "Tammy, you really don't have accurate information on this issue, and I would encourage you to go to a credible... ANY CREDIBLE news source and do your own research" to which she replied, "Well my Black friend told me he was a Muslim." I responded "And you are choosing to believe what somebody tells you instead of looking it up for yourself?" and she said "Well my friend is Muslim too and I don't know why he would lie".

I really was shocked because not ONE person I had spoken to while canvassing had even brought this up and now suddenly when I was done campaigning for the day and just innocently dropping my W-2 Form off for my Dad at his store with my button still on my sweater, I was barraged by questions on this subject ALONE, by at least 1 out of every 3 people I ran into. This information that was debunked and fully investigated well over a year ago, I might add. And I was pissed. Really pissed.

And when Tammy the Truthful Engine said that she didn't know why her Black Muslim friend would lie I shot back a very angry "Tammy, that is the stupidest, most uneducated thing I have ever heard!" She wisely did not respond. I make no apologies for saying that or even saying this...

I respect everyone's right to vote for whoever they want to. Obviously I want people to vote for Barack Obama, but many people who I respect greatly feel like Hillary Clinton is a better candidate for them for valid reasons. The same reasons that I feel Obama is a better candidate for me personally. That is a perfectly acceptable and educated reality and I would hope that in this country we can agree to disagree for legitimate reasons such as these.

But I am truly appalled and offended by people who read an e-mail or hear from someone that ANY of the information circulated in this FALSE and slandering e-mail is fact. I am also offended by people who say they won't vote for Obama because it's too close to Osama, or make reference to him having a "funny name" which makes him shady. To anyone reading this who even remotely believes ANY of this... for GOD SAKES just educate yourself a little. It doesn't take a whole lot of research to figure out that this information is completely false. And to call this honorable man Osama or Saddam Hussein Obama, etc. makes my skin crawl and makes my respect for you completely evaporate. If you choose to vote for Hillary I will not ask you why. But if you respond anyway that you just couldn't vote for that Osama guy than you have a significant amount of intelligence that might be lacking and maybe you should let your voter registration expire. If you decide not to vote for him because of policy, general likability, or any other legitimate reason, I salute you for educating yourself in this completely Unprecidented Democrtic Primary.

So when I say "Friends In Low Places"... yeah, apparently I've got them.

Come to think of it, maybe I should hook Tammy up with my
neighbor's phone number. They appear to have a lot in common.

Also, maybe I should just start suggesting that the
Kennedy's , Oprah, Bill Bradley, Susan Eisenhower (yes, as in IKE), Former House Majority Leader Tom Daschle, and John Kerry are in the same Muslim sleeper cell with Obama, cause THAT would definitely make sense!!

If you do have any further questions about this ridiculous and offensive information circulating about Barack Obama please click on
this link and read the article in it's entirety, or just watch the CNN video below...



Ahhhh... Now that I have that off my chest I am going to go back to bed. I actually feel A LOT better now!! Guess that's why GOD created blogs!!

Plus I was having a really awesome dream about
Chris Daughtry being completely infatuated with me so I'd like to get back to that :-)

Anywho, I've got a busy day tomorrow with canvassing in the morning, the
Rally in the afternoon, and then the date (UGH...) although I may have come up with a contingency plan to get me out of the date... at least for now (THANK YOU TENESIA!!). I'm thinking I may have to face the music on Super Bowl Sunday, but at least it will be at a Sports Bar!!! I'm off on Monday, so check back then for post-date details, and in the meantime...

GO GIANTS!!!!
(WE LOVE OUR MANNING'S IN PEYTON COUNTRY!!)


xoxo,
baxter

PS- All good things must come to an end, and when I weighed myself today I had no change up or down. I knew it was gonna happen eventually PLUS I had sushi Thursday night with
soy sauce which I didn't even think about until afterwards... better luck next time!!! :-)

No comments: